Our meteorite experiment
The Pupils of Junior and Senior Infants carried out the following Experiment:
- We carried out an experiment to discover how craters were formed on the moon by meteorites.
- First we made our meteorites out of playdoh
- Next, in groups, we arranged our meteorites according to size from smallest to biggest.
- Then we used a baking tray with flour on the bottom and coloured sand on top to test our meteorites.
- We dropped the biggest meteorites in each group from a certain height to see the impact made by the meteorite.
- After we tested the smallest asteroids in the same way.
- We recorded our results.
- Each person then got a chance to drop their meteorite to make a crater.
- We discovered that the bigger the asteroid the bigger the crater.
- The closer and the force behind the asteroid also made a difference to the size of the crater.